With the dough made in the bread machine, this is a kid-friendly activity masquerading as a snack. I've adapted the recipe from the "Electric Bread; A bread machine activity book for kids"
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons (quarter stick) margarine
- 1 packet or 1/2 coffee scoop or 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
Optional Toppings for sprinkling on top of egg wash before baking: (few Tablespoons, to taste)
- Kosher salt
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Place dough ingredients in bread machine set on "dough" setting.
- Hand out portions of dough to each child for shaping. Give each child a (optionally foil lined) ungreased baking pan. For best results, suggest that dough shapes of similar widths are grouped together on baking pans. (i.e. all the tiny, thin pretzel shapes on one pan, all the fat ones on another.) This allows for more even baking times.
- Let rise for one hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Just before baking, brush each pretzel gently with the egg wash, and sprinkle with the optional salt or cinnamon sugar, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown, 12-18 minutes.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.